|MSC Permanent Minutes February 27, 2012|
MIDDLETON SCHOOL COMMITTEE
FULLER MEADOW TEACHERS’ LOUNGE
FEBRUARY 27, 2012
A Special Meeting of the Middleton School Committee (MSC) was held on Monday, February 27, 2012 in the Fuller Meadow Teachers’ Lounge, 143 South Main Street, Middleton, MA.
Member Present: Mindy Wogan, Chairperson; Teresa Buono, Tasha Cooper, Lisa Saxonis and Maria Scarpa
Others Present: Bernard Creeden, Superintendent; Steven Greenberg, Director of Finance and Human Resources; Betsy Boulanger and Diane Carreiro, Principals; George Dow, Finance Committee Liaison; and Mary Farley, Recording Secretary
M. Wogan called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m.
1. Pledge of Allegiance: Everyone stood and recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
2. Remarks from the Public: None
1. Report of the Superintendent: Dr. Creeden reported that the Middleton School Building Committee (MSBC) will be meeting after this meeting. The MSC has been invited to the Finance Committee Meeting on Tuesday, March 13 at 7:30 p.m. This meeting will not be held at the Flint. They will get back to us with a location.
The MSC will be receiving a request to erect a shed on the Howe-Manning field property from the Little League. Dr. Creeden shared a picture of the proposed storage shed. I. Singer’s preference was to wait one year until seeding had grown in. We will probably be getting a request for a batting cage. I. Singer is suggesting that either the MSC or the Selectmen could act on this. Dr. Creeden will look further into this as to where the shed will be placed. If there are any footings, it cannot go over the septic field.
Tomorrow, MIIA is doing a tour of our six schools for insurance purposes.
C. NEW BUSINESS:
1. Review of Previous Actions:
• FY 2012 Budget Discussions: S. Greenberg informed the Committee that he is making an adjustment on how the Music teacher is paid. Instead of 70% on the salary scale, her salary would be totally on the salary scale. This will be about a $9,040 increase. He explained why this is being done. The $300 per student fee for instrumental music will be used to offset the cost of instrument replacement, etc. It was explained that we are not going to be purchasing new instruments at this time. The Music teacher will become a 1.0 FTE.
S. Greenberg handed out the Middleton Elementary Schools FY 13 Proposed Budget Adjustment Worksheet, FY 2013 Budget – First Draft. He reviewed it with the Committee. S. Greenberg is looking to get to 4% (increase over FY 2012).
Item #9 - Howe-Manning Planned Maintenance has been put in with an increase in the budget of $38,736 for ENE services. T. Buono would like to see how cost efficient Howe-Manning is compared to Spofford Pond.
Item #10 – Increase Applied Offset Revenue is at $104,000. Right now, it looks like we will have a surplus in Sped of about $175,000. The $104,000 will close the gap of 4% and maintain the integrity of the budget. T. Buono is worried about getting to the point where we cannot take any more offsets from the Revolving Accounts. We would like to manage these funds through the close of the year. We will look at the offsets and try to apply sound business practice to make them last a little longer. There was discussion about offsets and the Operating Budget.
Item #3: Professional Development had everything in the dollar amount. When we put together discussion points, S. Greenberg reduced this by $20,000. Professional Development is at the original proposal. We never took it away.
Item #8 - Insurance: T. Cooper moved to reduce the Insurance Line by $22,047. Second by L. Saxonis. Motion carried 5-0-0.
Item #9 - Howe-Manning Planned Maintenance: M. Scarpa moved to increase this line by $38,736. Second by T. Buono. Motion carried 5-0-0.
Item #10 – Increase Applied Offset Revenue: L. Saxonis moved to increase this line by $104,000. Second by T. Cooper. Motion carried 5-0-0.
• Proposed Warrant Articles - Math Curriculum and Technology: The new Math Program will go on a Warrant Article for $148,137. Fuller Meadow Technology Equipment will also go on a Warrant Article for $60,000. Dr. Creeden stated that the Committee will have one more conversation about this before meeting with the Finance Committee. The technology is all for Fuller Meadow. He asked if we should take a hiatus for one year and then come back with this because of the issues at Howe-Manning.
The Committee should meet before the meeting with the Finance Committee. The MSC agreed to meet on March 13 at 7:00 p.m.
Regarding the Technology person – Dr. Creeden met with Topsfield on Thursday night. They are looking at other alternatives. At the TTU meeting, we will be talking about putting this on hold for one year. We cannot do this on our own within the constraints of the budget.
2. Other: There was a request from Michael McLaughlin regarding Surplus Instructional Technology Equipment and that such equipment be turned over to Chief DiGianvittorio of the Middleton Police Department. This was put on hold for the next meeting.
D. CONSENT AGENDA:
1. Approval of Minutes: T. Buono moved to approve the Minutes of February 6, 2012 with the change requested by C. Elliott. Second by M. Scarpa. On page 3, second bullet, second sentence, add the words “Tri-Town Reading Committee” after the words “Professional Development Committee.” Motion carried 5-0-0.
T. Buono moved to approve the Minutes of January 28, 2012 as amended. Second by L. Saxonis. Motion carried 5-0-0. On page 1, under A, item #3, delete the second sentence. Change the third sentence to read: “We will be getting an invitation to an upcoming Finance Committee meeting.” Motion carried 5-0-0.
The January 5, 2012 Minutes were tabled until the next meeting.
T. Buono moved to approve the Executive Session Minutes of February 6, 2012 as presented. Second by T. Cooper. Motion carried 5-0-0.
T. Buono moved to approve the Bill Warrant #BW 1220A dated 2/5/12 in the amount of $102.69. Second by T. Cooper. Motion carried 4-0-1 (M. Wogan abstained).
T. Buono moved to approve the following Bill Warrants. Second by T. Cooper.
Bill Warrant #1220 dated 2/21/12 in the amount of $38,710.09
Bill Warrant #1220B dated 2/27/12 in the amount of $52,493.33
Bill Warrant #1220 Café dated 2/21/12 in the amount of $8,100.74
Bill Warrant #1220 Café Meal Tax dated 2/21/12 in the amount of $9.86
Bill Warrant #TTU 12-13 dated 2/9/12 in the amount of $86.66
Bill Warrant #TTU 12-13dated 2/28/1 in the amount of $2,572.74
Payroll Warrant dated 3/1/12 in the amount of $263,591.35
Motion carried 5-0-0.
T. Buono moved to approve the following Budget Adjustment. Second by T. Cooper.
Budget Adjustment #JE12-14 dated 2/13/12 in the amount of $304.66
Motion carried 5-0-0.
F. ADJOURNMENT: T. Buono moved to adjourn at 7:32 p.m. and move on to the Middleton School Building Committee meeting. Second by T. Cooper. Motion carried 4-0-0.
Items included in the packet or handed out at the meeting include:
1. Agenda for February 27, 2012.
2. Minutes of the Meeting of January 5, 2012
3. Minutes of the Meeting of January 28, 2012
4. Minutes of the Meeting of February 6, 2012
5. Minutes of the Meeting of the Executive Session of February 6, 2012
6. Bill Warrant and Payroll Approval Sheet
7. Surplus Instructional Technology Equipment Request
8. FY 2013 proposed Budget Adjustment Worksheet – Updated 2/27/12