|MSC Permanent Minutes March 13, 2012|
MIDDLETON SCHOOL COMMITTEE (MSC)
FULLER MEADOW CONFERENCE ROOM
MARCH 13, 2012
Members Present: Maria Scarpa, Mindy Wogan (Chairperson), Lisa Saxonis and Teresa Buono
Members Absent: Tasha Cooper
Others Present: Dr. Bernard Creeden (Tri-Town Union (TTU) Superintendent), Steve Greenberg (TTU Director of Finance and Human Resources) and Ellen Gaskell (Acting Recording Secretary)
a. Call to Order: Chairperson Mindy Wogan called the meeting to order at 7:22 p.m.
b. Pledge of Allegiance: None
c. Remarks from the Public: None
a. Reports of the Superintendent: None
3. NEW BUSINESS:
a. FY 2013 Budget Discussion
i. FY 13 Review of Previous Actions
1. S. Greenberg distributed a revised Budget Adjustment Worksheet, which included the adjustments made at last week’s TTU meeting. The FY13 Budget is currently at an increase of 3.9% over FY12, 4% is the unofficial guideline. At the TTU meeting the Central Office Bookkeeper position was increased from .6 to .8 Full-Time Equivalents (FTEs).
2. T. Buono noted that the TTU Maintenance Mechanic is still in the FY13 Central Office Budget. This position should be cost-neutral; contracts in which pay prevailing wage must be paid and the resulting contractor supply mark-up will be avoided by bringing on this position (because the mechanic will be able to do the jobs in-house). The Maintenance Mechanic’s salary will be $71K. S. Greenberg said that he cut an apportioned share of Topsfield’s, Boxford’s and Fuller Meadow’s school facility maintenance expense lines for FY13 (to compensate for the Maintenance Mechanic), but he couldn’t cut an apportioned share of Howe Manning’s facility expense item lines because the TTU doesn’t have a true experience of these expenses at Howe Manning (because of the new building).
3. The FY13 professional development expense was untouched.
4. T. Buono asked if the warrant article for technology was $60K; it is.
5. Town Meeting Warrant Articles 23 & 24 are for the MSC. Article #23 is for the new math curriculum; Article 24 is for technology. Dr. Creeden said that the $60K for technology was for replacing computers at the end of their lives. Dr. Creeden said that Middleton Elementary Schools won’t move to tablets at Fuller Meadow until wireless capacity is increased. M. Wogan asked if the warrant article has to say what kinds of computers the schools plan to purchase.
6. Dr. Creeden said that Article #24 needs to state its purpose.
7. T. Buono asked Dr. Creeden and the MSC if the Technology Warrant Article should stay at $60K or should this number be split? Dr. Creeden said that a warrant article has a life longer than the fiscal year.
8. M. Wogan asked if there any other large warrant articles; Dr. Creeden recited the descriptions and amounts of the other warrant articles from a list he had at the meeting. M. Wogan noted that there were many warrant articles.
9. The MSC spoke of how important passage of the Math Curriculum Warrant Article would be.
10. M. Wogan thought $60K for technology may not pass at Town Meeting.
11. T. Buono moved to amend the amount of the May, 2012 Town Meeting Warrant Article for Technology from $60K to $40K, seconded by M. Scarpa; motion passed unanimously.
12. T. Buono moved to approve the changes detailed in the updated Middleton Elementary Schools FY13 Proposed Budget Adjustment Worksheet, seconded by L. Saxonis. Motion passed unanimously.
ii. Proposed Warrant Articles: Math Curriculum and Technology: See above discussion. 3/13/12 memo from S. Greenberg regarding this was distributed at the meeting.
iii. Preparation for Meeting with Finance Committee: See above discussion.
b. Other: Dr. Creeden said that on Thursday, March 22nd, there would be a reading of the omnibus budget; T. Buono said that she planned to attend.
4. CONSENT AGENDA:
a. Minutes of Previous Regular Meetings: Copies of which were included in the packet. Tabled until a future meeting.
b. Bill Warrants and Payrolls: Handout distributed at the meeting.
i. Bill Warrants and Payrolls – Sign and Vote to Accept: None
1. BW# Schools 12-23 3/13/12 $5,498.49
2. T. Buono moved to pay this bill warrant, seconded by M. Scarpa; motion passed unanimously.
3. Bill Warrants and Payrolls – Vote to Accept Only: None
5. ADJOURNMENT: At 7:44 pm, T. Buono moved to adjourn, seconded by M. Scarpa. Motion passed unanimously.
Acting Recording Secretary for Mary Farley
Per the new Open Meeting Law, here is a list of the documents that were either distributed to the TSC before the meeting in a packet, or at the meeting:
2. Attendance Log
3. Preliminary MSC Minutes – Regular Meeting
4. Bill Warrant and Payroll Sheet
5. Memo from S. Greenberg re: FY13 Capital Plan and Proposed Warrant Article Overview
6. Middleton Elementary Schools FY13 Proposed Budget Adjustment Worksheet